Friday 8 April 2011

The Jam with support 'Jump in your datsun'



Introduction: the story goes, last year I got a 'Wake Up Woking' ticket from Tim of Martell & Moray. We arranged to meet at a pub near Woking, Tim arrived with the other part of  Martell & Moray - Barry Goodwin. Over a pre-show drink Barry told me how the band he was in had supported the Jam, yes, supported the woking wonders themselves, and in the mod hometown Brighton - this is their amazing story...........









Jump In Your Datsun (in March 1982) were:

Joe Butt - Vocals and Bass
Barry Goodwin - Guitar
Brian Monger - Keyboards
Geoff Barker - Drums




Three of us were at Worthing Art College in Sussex. We formed there in 1980 I think. We played lots of local gigs and some in London. We split up possibly in 1983 although Joe and I have recorded lots of stuff together since and remain in touch.

I'd been meeting Weller after various Jam gigs, handing him cassettes and poems etc. After one gig at the David Sobel Sports Centre he remembered a poem I had given him called The Fisherman and recalled the title and how much he liked it, so I kept on trying to see if I could get involved with The Jam in some way. I had just bought a car, had nothing much to do and decided to drive it to Weller's house and see if I could hand him another tape. I dutifully drove to, I think, 45 Imperial Drive in Woking, or something that sounded like that. No one was in so I shoved a band poster and a tape through the letter box.  We had just recorded two tracks on a compilation album of south coast bands called 'Seaside Rock', put together by Airship Studios in Bognor Regis. Our two tracks were 'Dead In Your Garden' and '17/5' (because in was written in 17/5 time, if that is indeed actually possible).


One monday morning in February 1982, I received a hand-written letter from John Weller asking if Jump In Your Datsun would like to support the Jam at the Brighton centre on sunday March 13th 1982. At that particular time we had no drummer so had to find one really quickly, which we did and managed I think to do a 30-45 minute set. In my extremely excited state I do remember saying something really stupid afterwards to the crowd. I think it was 'If you didn't like that then you've got no taste' or something similar. 








The whole idea behind the gig was for Weller to see what we were like with a view to doing something with us on his Respond label. I saw him briefly during the gig but he wasn't particularly talkative or responsive. His dad was fabulous though. During the gig he spoke to the mother of our singer  (Joe Butt) at length and said how our song 'Dead In Your Garden' had been played non stop for weeks on their van's stereo.




After the gig John handed me a £50 note on stage and that was that.

We supported Secret Affair and Rudi on separate dates at the New Regent in Brighton. In London we supported The Lurkers at the Fulham Greyhound and The Alarm at a gig downstairs somewhere next door to Hammersmith tube station. It was a well known gig venue but I can't remember the name.

John Peel was quite fond of our two tracks on the compilation and played at least 17/5 that I can remember. He was fantastic too. He gave me a lift once from the BBC studios to Victoria Station when I met hem after his show finished, which not many people of his status would have bothered doing. I did also have an interview with Kid Jensen (not on air) in his office in Regents St but nothing came of that.

I do have a letter from Chris Parry from Polydor (I think) saying he thought our demo was one of the best he'd heard in a long time. So near so far so many times. Such is life.

I saw The Jam possibly 15-20 times, maybe more. I went to absolutely every gig I could afford to go to, including one in 1981 in Paris, which was a pre organised coach trip from london with just Jam fans only. I went back to the Brighton Centre once more in 1982 but this time back in the audience to witness the final curtain for The Jam in december. Very sad.




March 13th 1982 was our only big gig. I have photos of all sorts of gigs but none of that day. It's very odd. When I tried years later to see if the local newspaper had any photos I was told their archives had all got burnt in an office fire. If anyone may have something anywhere by chance, it would be a great thing to see.



1 comment:

  1. Our mate Chris Jones took photos of all our gigs but arrived too late for this one!
    Joe

    ReplyDelete