Sunday 10 April 2011

Connett Scrapbook

from today Sunday April 10th, FTT, BTP's is 'love & curses' and a Connett take over is taking place in honour of their fantastic new album, out now!


by way of an introduction i have trawled the web and collected a few interesting bits n'bobs about the guys.


also this week, we have a 'track by track' review of the new album, a look back at 'waging war on the obvious', an interview, a connett mix tape that will surprise and delight and much more!


connett are shouting out to be heard, they are bold and brash, walking with modish swagger in a world of mediocrity.












from

Connett - These guys have been floating around the edges of my sub-conscious for a while now.  To be honest I had dismissed them as another one of those Mod wannabe bands,  I take it all back having finally checked out the mini album.  What sets them apart is that they tip their hat to the past yet manage to give it a current vibe along the way.  If you love the more intelligent elements of both Brit Pop and 60's Mod bands then you will love Connett.  If you are looking for three chords and the truth then I suggest you stay in your time warp. The mini album in question " Waging War On The Obvious" is well worth your hard earned.  In fact I would go as far as to say that "Can't You Hear Me" is one of the best tracks I have heard this year 









from






Could you please tell us something about the history of the band?

DARRON: We've all been in other bands over the years since school really, I had a solo thing going on, and had a little success with the "Onwards And Upwards" e.p ("Just a boy"," Problem page" etc), then that got wrapped up. Met Glen Fuller and formed CONNETT... wrote some songs and realised the chemistry and creative partnership was a winner, Danny (drummer) and Laurence (Bass) came along after a few false starts, completed the line up the four of us together create a magical noise that in my eyes defines the Connett sound, which is nothing like anyone else and that to me is what makes a truly great band.





GLEN: Darron and I have been in the band now for two years, Danny joined the band around six months in, and Laurence has been with us now since January. I met Darron in a pub in South London, we had a good chat and it turned out he was looking for a writing partner and guitarist. Luckily enough I'd moved to London and was on the look for a band. We hit it off straight away, and the road has been smooth and straight ever since. All of us have a great working and social relationship, an open door policy if you like.

LAURENCE: As the newest member, there are people more qualified than me to give you the history of this band! I've spent the last 15 years releasing albums and touring with other bands and I joined Connett around December/January time.




from






CONNETT INTERVIEW

With the release of their new album 'Love & Curses' the time is right to discuss with the band exactly what makes them tick. From the reviews of the bands music elsewhere in this article, the appetite is whetted. Judging by their sound, image & performance, the band have a lot to say, not just about their sound, but about their love of music & style as well. Rob Dady spoke to them during the recording of the album. Singer Darron & guitarist Glen did the talking. Darron effusive & ebullient, Glen, measured & thoughtful.

208: GENTS, DESCRIBE YOUR BAND IN ONE SENTENCE:
Glen: We are four people doing what they do, we just have a good grounding.
Darron adds to this. “CONNETT...is a band that has its foot in the past as far as iconic classic music goes, but its heart firmly in the future.” He continues “We are not a band who’s influences are stagnant or contrived or even stylized, we all four know what we like and throw it into the mix and come up with a sound that’s unique and fortunately doesn't’ sound like retro rock despite our reference points. To be told I sound like someone else is never a compliment even when is meant to be, CONNETT...is out there on its own. Exactly where we want to be.”

In light of the above, I feel Darron has a point. The band are a classically English four piece rock band. More so, an archetypal great London band. Glen has a fine guitar sound, sometimes subtle, powerful at all times, & Darron has a unique voice. The rhythm section is powerful & driving, their musical references remind you of a classic band that you can't put your finger on. Then you realize. It is CONNETT.
 
208: IN LIGHT OF THE ABOVE, GIVE A RUNDOWN OF THE BANDS MUSICAL INFLUENCES
Darron: “The Beatles for their genius in writing a perfect pop song. I do love all kinds of singers from Timi Yuro to David McAlmont. In fact, all in between; anyone who is passionate or unique in their delivery of a song, but really far to many influences personally, if there is a record I love, it is there, burnt in to my subconscious. I'm really drawn to singers and bands who have an individual take on a genre such as Elvis, Bowie, Bolan, Weller, Morrissey, Gallagher etc. Those who rewrite the rules and make it all sound fresh again,I could list a thousand bands and singers from the mega famous to back street strummers, if they are good then they are all stars in my eyes!”

Glen looks thoughtful after the above outburst.
“I agree; my musical influences vary from Howlin' Wolf to The Verve, with lots in between. I like a lot of songs, but not always the band. But then I suppose that's a sign of a good song isn't it. We've been very fortunate to be able to draw lots of influences, style and music over the years. Stones, Bowie Arthur Lee, The Action, Dylan, Buffalo Springfield. You know, great songs, Bill Withers' 'Ain't no Sunshine', Dean Taylor - 'There's a ghost in my house' – just off the top of the head, you know...
Darron is now warming to the theme. “Don't forget Definitely Maybe by Oasis because apart from the songs it excited a nation, Forever changes by Love. This simply stands alone in sound and style. 1000volts of Holt by John Holt, it takes me back to great times growing up in Shepherds Bush.”
208: JUDGING BY YOUR BAND, & THE ABOVE MUSIC, IT IS ALL ICONIC STUFF. THAT BRINGS ME TO YOUR FAVORITE STYLE ICONS .
Darron spouts forth, “I love mainly classic stylists really. Most 60s bands looked cool, Paul Weller and Liam Gallagher rarely make a faux pas, Rod Stewart was cool, especially around 71/72 as far as clobber and hair went. I love all things modernist from all ends of the spectrum, as I really love that late 50s early 60s film star look from Steve McQueen to Sidney Poitier. As you see, I am partial to the preppy ivy league look too”. Glen nods in agreement.


208: DESCRIBE A CONNETT LIVE SHOW:
Glen shakes his head, looks thoughtful. “ I'm not sure, that's not for me to answer. You'd have to ask someone in the crowd! All we do is do our thing. Nothing more, nothing less. It just feels natural, I hope it appears that way”. Darron takes up the mantle. “When you come to one our gigs I would hope you leave in the faith that there is a next chapter of great bands, we don't take ourselves too seriously. Mind you, a bit of on stage banter and few laughs are a must at a CONNETT gig. We do we take the music very seriously in that we always give our best performance, &, as a singer and front man I know what I would want from a front man so always try to deliver”.

I've seen lots of bands who have no connection with the people in the crowd,no eye contact, nothing. To top it all these are bands sounding as I did at the age of 10, musically speaking. Then again, I must say there are bands out there who make me up my game in every sense, therefore it's nice to know there are three outstanding players with me, we can blow most opposition away”.

208: NOW THE ALBUM IS READY, NAME YOUR PLANS.........
Glen smiles at the thought. “A new album out on 208! Lets tour,get it out there and see what comes back. I can't speak for the rest of the band but I aim to be the best, whether I can be is another question, but we set our bars high,that don't worry me, as we keep moving forward. Lets evolve,excite and dominate!”
Darron looks impressed.
“I think the album will be well received and we'll take it from there. We've had some great gigs this year so we'll try and build on that, we are off to tour Ireland soon. We've always new tunes to work on and we have already got plenty of ideas being thrown about so we'll see.”

NEW ALBUM 
'LOVE & CURSES'
 available from


NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment