Monday 14 March 2011

Nick Ward's MIXTAPE


so here it is, mix-tape two from Nick Ward - i left the description of Nick's own music to himself, but i suggest after you've played his mix-tape you pop along to Nick's website and buy his latest cd 'Pink Bay', the perfect soundtrack to anybodies spring............................

(ps both Nick and I share our favourite all time track, nice!)



"The ongoing seaside adventures of Nick Ward are continuing to excite internet blogs and music sites all with a shared addiction to wonderfully structured Power-Pop.

Whether the latest recording project involves explosive fuzzed-out guitar or expressive acoustic soul searching, the songs are born from Nicks honest visual experiences and a lyrical persona presenting thoughtful real life scenarios. Indulging in essentially British musical observations and New Wave counter culture happily studied on eccentric hazy vinyl, Nick Ward`s connection with Sixties Soul, Britpop and radio friendly Indie is all apparent after just a few listens. Include a healthy dose of Weller, Davies, Marriott, Townshend and modern guitar based song writing is in very safe hands."



nick ward's mixtape

Side A

The Beatles – Baby Your A Rich Man



Let’s start off with the the Fabs! They were my first introduction to music & it’s been downhill ever since. This track is an underplayed gem....Lennon in fine form. Paul showing how great a bass player he is too.
 
Small Faces – Tin Soldier



This is my favourite song ever. There’s just something about it...the energy, the soulfulness of Marriott’s voice with PP Arnold....Maclagan’s Hammond.....perfection.
 
Ramsey Lewis – Wade In The Water



I could have chosen Green Onions, which is probably the best instrumental 45 ever recorded, but I chose this as I have very fond memories of dancing to this at Northern Soul all-nighters. A great piano instrumental......brings it all back... the lights, the girls, the smell of blow....ah, yes.
 
The Jam – Strange Town



I managed to see The Jam on their farewell tour. It was my first gig.....& what a gig. Changed my life forever. The first song they played was Strange Town....I was near the front & was still a kid really.....I was lifted into the air by the crush, & didn’t touch the floor for about ten minutes.
 
Elvis Costello – Lipstick Vogue



The first album I bought was This Years Model, on vinyl. I bought it on the strength of I Don’t Want To Go To Chelsea. I still love this album, & this is my favourite track. The musicianship on it is out of this world, and I’ve always loved his voice. One of my favourite songwriters.
 
Billie Holiday – You GoTo My Head



Billie Holiday has one of those once in a lifetime voices. Nobody sounds like her. To me she is living the song. There’s nothing better than Billie Holiday to chill to.


Side B

 
Muddy Waters – Tom Cat



I almost chose 300 Pounds by Howlin Wolf, which is a fantastic tune that always puts a smile on my face.....but Tom Cat puts me in a different place. Other wordly Psychadelic Blues....top notch.
 
Nick Drake – From The Morning



I’ve only recently got into Nick Drake. River Man is a classic with it’s beautiful strings, but I like his stripped down stuff. Just him & his guitar. Lovely to hear this first thing in the morning.
 
Public Image Ltd – Public Image



Again, I could have picked something by the Pistols, but I’ve always loved the energy of this. Great drum sound, then Jah  Wobbles bass sets it up very nicely. Try not singing ‘You never listened to a word that I said’.
 
Hank Williams – Lost Highway



Hank Williams was a huge star in his day. I always thought he was really old, he looks old in the pictures & on film....but he was only 29 when he died. He led a wild life....I recommend reading a biography of him. Great song.








No comments:

Post a Comment