Saturday 11 June 2011

the brights - mixtape

david



Animal Nitrate - Suede
I love Suede's stuff dearly but it's particularly the intensity of the band's sound on the early albums that does it for me. Between Bernard Butler's guitar playing and Brett Anderson's lyrics and vocals, there's this real undercurrent of tension in their writing, which I think is what makes this song such a riveting listen! 





I'm A Cuckoo - Belle and Sebastian

This one reminds me of James (The Brights) djing in Japan, so has a fond place in my heart for that reason alone but also it's just such a fun, feel good track. Belle & Seb are a great band and continue that knack Scotland has of producing great indie bands!




Mr Tambourine Man - The Byrds

The undeniable poetry in Bob Dylan's writing and the harmony of mid sixties Byrds, in a way makes for the perfect combination!




james


 



The Style Council - Headstart For Happiness

For me, one of Mr Weller’s finest ever songs.




Giant Crab - E.S.P.

2 mins 31 of relentless psych. Fantastic!




The Pale Fountains - Reach

In my humble opinion, Mick Head is one of the greatest songwriters this country has ever produced.





matt




The Kinks – Tired Of Waiting For You
Really great Kinks track. It’s just over two minutes but it’s got the lot for me!  Particularly love this footage with the moving drum riser. Have to get myself one of them!  




Teenage Fanclub – Sparky’s Dream
My favourite Teenage Fanclub song from my favourite Teenage Fanclub album.
What more can I say?!!? Amazing!





Merry Clayton – Gimme Shelter
One of my favourite cover versions. A timeless song and possibly for me the stand-out Stones track, but this version is just amazing. Superb vocal and absolutely love the brass that powers through it.





mark






The Stone Roses - The Sun Still Shines
I could have gone for one of the Roses' many anthems but wanted to draw people's attention to this cracking unreleased demo that surfaced on the net a while ago. Enjoy!





The Smiths - Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
I can't choose a favourite Smiths song but picked this one for its fantastic live rendition.





Shack - Oscar
Matt introduced this one to me in the tour-van last October and it's been on my stereo pretty constantly sinc then. I love the way it explodes into the middle-eight



No comments:

Post a Comment